Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Child


God sees us as mighty warriors, yet He expects us to come to him as little children. Perhaps having faith like a child equips us to become those mighty warriors. He sees strength in the heart of a child. Maybe it is because children generally cannot rely on themselves. They must trust.

My heart is bound up
How can I carry yours?
I am not a child but a pauper
Worn out by time and years
Yet you would bring me back
Set me upon your lap
Look into my eyes and say
You’re innocent again
Do you want to run on the paths of adventure
I have set before you?
I approve of you
You don’t have to be shy with me
I hear his words, stirring in me
And dare to look in his face
I find he’s smiling
So I take his hand without shame
And my withered fingers become smooth
With him I can be myself
A child again, with strength renewed
For faith and trust are my weapons in him
I am utterly changed when he becomes my strength
So I say
My heart is strong
Not bound with fear, or folly, or doubt
But light with your love
I see with your eyes
And I will tread the paths you have laid out
And pursue to grasp what you are about
When I see me through your eyes
I can carry your heart with no shame
And be a child
And a warrior to bring you fame

 
A couple weeks ago I was picking up the little girl I nanny from kindergarten. There was another little girl waiting with her mom, about 3 or 4 years old with blonde curly hair. I had never met them before, but this little girl suddenly came up to me, took my hand, and smiled. She then said, “sometimes I’m shy.” That struck me because for some reason she didn’t feel the need to be shy with me. Yet she wanted to tell me that. Then she proceeded to show me her pink boots and kept holding onto my hand and swinging it back and forth like I was her long time friend. I couldn’t help but imagine that this might have been what it was like for Jesus. The children were attracted to him though he may have been a stranger, and they were probably able to be free and open with him because of his love and gentle way. What a beautiful picture God brought to me through the boldness and spontaneity of this little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment