Monday, December 10, 2012

Secret Garage Forts and DC Talk


Did you ever have that place as a kid that was just your special place? Probably not somewhere the adults in your life would even want to go, but you loved it because you could make it your own? Many of us enjoyed building forts as kids, whether it was with chairs and blankets, treehouses, or cardboard boxes that we called home. I find it amusing that kids seem to be attracted to small spaces. I see this all the time with the little girl I nanny for. I’ll come out of the bathroom and she’ll be nowhere in sight, and when I start calling her name she’ll answer in that muted voice and I know she has squished her little body into some tight space, like a kitchen cabinet or crowded closet and is having the time of her life just being able to do that.

 
Kids are so creative—with their innovative thoughts on how to make a cardboard box a personalized home, or a space ship or a car, which is more common among boys. I just love the creativity and personality that is displayed through this kind of play, and I actually think it says a lot about our potential as artistic and inventive people, created in THE Artist’s, Creator’s, Musician’s, Dancer’s, and Inventor’s image.

I was just remembering last night that when I was ten my brother, my cousin who was living with us at the time, and I used to go almost every day down to this little tiny cubby room in our garage, a space under the stairs. It was our special secret place, and we definitely made it our own. Almost every day we would come up with something more to add to our little place to make it more homey, if you will. We drew little pictures and put them up on the walls, we brought down a small chair, and we would even bring our homework down there and (attempt) to do it. We started bringing music tapes and a tape player down too, so we would have music to listen to. I remember our MC student at the time always showed my brother the cool stuff he was listening to. DC Talk’s Jesus Freak was a really cool one for us at that time. I remember loving the Jesus Freak song and wanting to hear it over and over again. There was also a feature on our awesome tape player that allowed us to record our own voices onto tapes. Oh, the endless fun and entertainment THAT brought about!

I love having memories like this. I think if I went down there and took a look into that cubby again, I would find a space that I could hardly fit into now and probably find remnants of our days virtually living in there.

For all of us, fragments of our good memories still live in one form or another. I think these are good things to hold onto; I’m not talking about being a pack rat, but rather cherishing the moments that brought us joy as a child, and also letting them speak to who we are now. I know that in all of our lives there are things we want to forget too, things that bring us pain to think about. God can heal us of those memories and show us how he was there with us, but let’s also thank him for the times that have branded something fond and positive in our hearts. Those creative moments, those precious times with our siblings. The good and the bad are all a part of your story. Give God the hurt, but don’t forget the meaning behind all he has allowed you to do or experience.

And the songs, or the books that spoke to you as a child, don’t dismiss those. Something was calling you back then. It was probably God’s voice, telling you a little bit about himself or who he made you to be.

I still want to be a Jesus Freak.

No comments:

Post a Comment